Chiltern Society PhotoGroup

The Lambert Arms at Aston Rowant from Beacon Hill.

The original road from the west to Stokenchurch cut a straight but steep line through the Chilterns. In 1824 the road was diverted to the west and now winds gently up through the escarpment, following the contours of the hill.

The pub dates from 1834, replacing the Drum and Plough, which was on the old road. Mail coaches running between Oxford and London stopped here before taking the turnpike up through Aston Wood to the Kings Arms in Stokenchurch.
Author: David Cripps