Chiltern Society PhotoGroup

Stoke Court, off Rogers Lane. Its origins have been traced back to 1455 and it has grown from a simple cottage to this. From 1660 the building was known as West End House and the poet Thomas Gray (see later) was a frequent visitor. Stoke Court was severely damaged by fire in 1979 but was restored. The Bayer Group then used it as a conference centre but in 2013 its future seemed to be in the hands of the Comer Group as a pending conversion to flats.
Inset, left: south front in 1869; right: Stoke Court on fire in 1979
Author: Q Barrett