Markyate is a village on the old Roman road, Watling Street, between St Albans and Dunstable. It was a major coaching stop and once had 40 inns and pubs. A bypass now takes the A5 to the east. During the 12th century a community of Benedictine nuns was established in the area. Markyate became a civil parish in 1897. The photographs were taken by John Fitzgerald between March and May 2014.